Thursday, October 10, 2013

Higher Expectations

"When working with horses, expect a lot and accept a little. If the horse knows you have a high expectation, they're going to pay attention to you. If they know you're going to expect them to try hard, they're going to be focused on you, and you're going to feel that connection more. If you have low expectations and do a lot of rubbing and petting, that's all fine and good, but you loose a little something when you don't have a higher expectation. Focus on a goal. Even during struggle and strife, when you get through it, you will actually feel more connected, you understand each other to a deeper level, and that special thing occurs." ~ Kalley Krickeberg

I often see videos or pictures of incredible horseman, and to be honest, it sometimes looks a little rough. Especially when they're working with a high spirited or fearful horse. They obviously know what they're doing, but I often wonder why that take that approach. There are many ways to skin a cat so to speak, but not all the ways are right. But these are incredible natural horseman, and when you watch the segment to the end, when it is all said and done, there is an incredible bond between horseman and horse. And I think the above quote explains just that. Horse training isn't all touchy-feely, kittens and rainbows, warm and fuzzy experiences. There is going to be learning taking place, and sometimes that means controversy. It makes me think about when I was growing up, and when I disagreed with my parents, specifically my father. He sometimes told me things I didn't like, or that I maybe didn't want to hear, and it would lead to an argument. I would get upset, but once I cooled off and my emotions subsided and my brain decided to kick in again, the majority of the time I realized he was right. Yes there was a moment of us butting heads, but when it was all said and done I was back to being a daddy's girl and in the end I had a lot more respect for him. Conflict isn't always a negative thing, as long as it is navigated correctly. 


Ray Hunt working a young horse

I also love the main message of that quote, which is to expect more of your horse. It creates a higher connection between the two of you, and you achieve things you didn't think you could accomplish before. It's just like handing your horse to your Parelli instructor and watching them do things with your horse you've never done before. When Cheyenne was about 4 years old I took her to a L2 clinic with PP Marc Rea. We had done some sideways but not a lot, and at that point it was often slow and stumbly. Marc asked to use her for his sideways demonstration, and right off the bat he had her trotting sideways at the end of a 22' line. I had to pick my jaw up out of the arena sand after seeing that. It really showed me the power of intention and what simply expecting more out of a horse can do. It was so simple, but to me it was a huge "mind blown" experience that I'll never forget.



Horses conflicting with each other - It is all part of communication

So, the lesson for today kids, is to expect more out of your horse, and to push yourself and your horse out of your comfort zone more often. It's something I personally really needed to read, and something that every great horseman seems to preach. I tend to get really bored when working in the pasture, but it's my fault for staying within my comfort zone and not upping the ante.  Often your horse will amaze you at what they're capable of if you just present them with the challenge and allow them to shine.

No comments:

Post a Comment