Wednesday, November 6, 2013

Hybrid Halter

This morning, as you may know, Kalley Krickeberg revealed her new product, the Hybrid Halter. It is half web halter, half rope. There is already a lot of controversy about it, as there is when anything new comes along and challenges someone's "normal". 



What I personally like about it is that it should keep the nose band knots in correct position much better than a normal rope halter, and no matter what happens during your play session (or in the event of an emergency), you know you won't have to struggle to remove the halter. For me this is fantastic since Gweny likes to get carried away and go balls-to-the-wall bucking and rearing and pull on my rope when she feels good when doing COD or cantering on the circle game which tightens the rope halter like nobody's business. One woman pointed out that these would be great for highlining and camping with your horse since they can't get their foot caught in it like they may be able to in a rope halter. I personally have never had that issue, but if you have a horse that is accident prone this may be a good alternative. Also, I personally like the look of web halters a little bit better, so the aesthetics aren't bad either. A little goofy looking, but still nice. 

The cons I see are that it is a heavier halter so playing with a horse may not be as effective as a rope halter. One Parelli student pointed out that the rope behind the ears was helpful with the porcupine game when asking your horse's head to come down. The yo-yo game is the first one that comes to my mind that might be interesting since the halter is in fact heavier, so I'm thinking you would have to put more energy down your line for the horse to feel the phases. Another aspect that concerns me for the yo-yo game are the metal connectors on either side of the nose band; they look as if they'd slap your horse in the face? That may be a game I'd skip with this halter. 

Either way, I say don't knock it until you try it. I don't think it is the "perfect" halter, but I definitely wouldn't pass up the chance to try it out with one of my girls. It will be interesting to keep an eye out in the next few months for reviews from natural horsewomen/men, and I have a feeling there will be a modified halter down the line that will address whatever issues they find. If the price ever comes down (I'm sorry, but $70 for a halter is ridiculous), and if they make one in a warmblood size, I would be really interested in getting one for Gweny. 

What are your thoughts on the halter? Have you already ordered one? What pros and cons do you see? I would love to hear your opinions!

No comments:

Post a Comment