Saturday, January 21, 2012

Snow Day Ah-ha Moments :)

Being snowed in the last few days has given me the opportunity (once I finally allowed myself to try and relax ;}) to study. I watched dvd's for all four savvy's to improve my OL and Finesse for my L2 audition which will hopefully be taped in the next month or two, and reading blogs.  I've also been drowning myself in YouTube videos of auditions, tricks, jumps, and demos with Parelli students and their horses. Overall, the following has really jumped out at/stuck with me:

1) Strong elbows = soft hands
2) Remember this is about playing with your horse and doing right by them, not getting competitive and reaching timely goals. I can pick the tasks, but my horses chose how long it takes to get there.
3) DON'T GET SO SERIOUS!! Remember all the FUN you had when you were younger? Ditch the "adult" frame of mind and this will all get easier and more enjoyable :)
4) Never set up a situation to make bracing an option (i.e. Oh, you want to look out of the arena? Here, let me use my carrot stick to help you look out :] )
5) OL, vertical rope wiggling is for downward transitions. Horizontal wiggling is for moving out to enlarge the circle.
6) Think of transitions as the yo-yo game
7) Thermal socks are your friends! =p

Watching so many wonderful auditions (and even a few that made me feel better about my horsemanship lol) were really encouraging and inspiring. It made me thankful to have such an intelligent and willing partner, and even though some days her RBE Hysteria is in full swing and I can't for the life of me get her focused, I know I can come out the next day and have a kick-ass sesh with her. Cheyenne can challenge me in so many ways, but I've learned when to take off the halter and call it a day even if I've accomplished nothing I had set out to do that day. I know as many irritating days we may have, there are 10x more fun, rewarding, exciting ones :) I am so lucky to have a little mare who really tries her heart out for me, and that is what makes me challenge myself to have more patience and try for her when she is feeling nervous and afraid. In the end, it's all about that little mare looking at me with bright excited eyes and ears up with a stoked expression on her face. It's about seeing her excited when she finally understands what I'm asking, it's about looking at the proud face of a horse who feels successful :) Passing the levels is just a plus. It's not a race with any other students, it's about the quality of my horsemanship and relationship with my girl. Even if we have amazing an sideways game for 10 days, and on the 11th for no apparent reason she is all over the place, as long as we both end the day feeling happy and confident, it was worth it :)



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have came to some great conclusions!! Savvy on!

    ReplyDelete