Wednesday, July 11, 2012

Summer nights and four legged friends :)

Had a short and simple night with my girls tonight. Started out with Cheyenne, did a quick warm up OL with the weave, pedestal, and a little circle game. She was more focused on grass than anything, but was pretty LB, so I decided it was time to bridle up! We practiced stage 1 and 2 of the GOC, played FTR and I worked on my sitting trot with her since I was riding bareback. Let me tell you what, that mare is not your prime candidate for trotting fluidity! Lol! Her speed and direction are very inconsistent, especially when we track to the right for some reason. I have to lean way back and have a slight arch in my back for her to not be irritated with me and really start moving forward and relaxed. I found I have a tendency to lean forwards at the trot, which in turn makes her slow down, so I really had to make a point to lean back (to an extreme angle, at least it felt to me, but if she's happy, I'm happy!).  It's been really hot, so we called that good once I got a relaxed walk and trot both directions :) She did so well! More whoa than go tonight which was interesting, but possibly heat related? She didn't seem laggy, just almost unmotivated, which is unusual for her. However still somehow responsive.. well maybe that's just an RBE's version of being LB... yeah.. we will call it that ;)

Gwen had a quick warm up OL as well, and I hopped on her bareback with the natural hackamore. We didn't get very far into our ride at all before my sister came strolling down the back yard, and trailing behind her was a red radio flyer wagon holding my four year old nephew! Weeeelllll... this was apparently a horse eating wagon, and my normally chill LBI had a visual lock on the foreign object. I had my sister play approach and retreat with the wagon until finally my nephew got impatient and decided to just jump out and walk the rest of the way to the horses. It was a nice surprise to be able to expose the horses to new things!

No comments:

Post a Comment