Thursday, July 11, 2013

A Student of the Horse

This year I was chosen to be the summer intern at the Northwest Natural Horsemanship Center (NWNHC). Unfortunately due to my work schedule my "summer" there turned into three weeks, but I learned so much in that time. However, it wasn't my typical lesson. It wasn't about psychology, a new technique, or anything of the norm. It was about having an open mind.

I started my natural horsemanship journey when I was about 11 years old through Parelli Natural Horsemanship. Up until now, I've had Parelli tunnel vision and nothing else was even worth looking at. Before I discovered Pat and Linda, I had checked out Monty Roberts, John Lyons, etc, and although they were good, they weren't great. I felt I had done enough research and found my "way". I am now playing in level 3 in the Parelli program and I feel I have a good foundation stuffed with problem solving skills, psychological approaches, tool handling skills, and confidence. However at NWNHC, they are open to all trainers, not just Parelli. They have clinicians such as Craig Cameron, Jack Brainard, Sylvia Zerbini, and many other accomplished horse men and women come in and teach, and the new information people seemed to have gotten from them is incredible. Dorothy Coomer, the trainer at NWNHC, had the chance to ride with Craig Cameron, as well has learn from Alice Trindle for 11+ years, who learned first hand from Ray Hunt. Hutch, the center's founder, and his girlfriend Karen had influence from Sylvia Zerbini (a former Cavalia headliner) about liberty, and insight from many other trainers which gave them new perspectives and strategies. 

This reminded me that I am a student of the horse, not just Parelli. I still plan on officially passing through L3 of the program, and one mythical day I still would like to attend Fast Track. Parelli is always going to be part of my life and continue to influence my horsemanship, but I need to remember to not have a closed mind when so many other incredible horsemen have so much knowledge to offer. Just because it isn't endorsed by Pat yet doesn't mean it's wrong.

So after mulling this new information around in my head, I finally sat down and watched the movie Buck. Yes, I know, I'm like the only horse person who didn't see this movie it's first week in theaters lol. But I honestly thought it was a waste of my time. 

The movie didn't really teach anything, but it gave a background of who he is and where he came from. He learned from the same masters Pat did, and has many of the same philosophies, just a different style of getting there. The way I look at it is two people can attend the same class and pull two different lessons from it. Buck still puts the horse first, and still accomplishes great things with his horses while nurturing their confidence and putting their needs first. 

Buck Brannaman


I have the opportunity to see Buck teach a clinic tomorrow at the Washington State Horse Park, and I couldn't be more excited! One great thing about him is that you learn directly from HIM, not one of his instructors. Don't get me wrong, I have an amazing Parelli instructor and have learned from many incredible other instructors, and I'm not putting them down in any fashion. But the chance to learn from our modern day master vs. his student is a huge advantage. He will have two Horsemanship 1 classes tomorrow, which is perfect. I can see how, what, and why he introduces ideas and methods to horses and owners and get a good idea of his way of teaching. Even if I don't come away with any new knowledge, or even if I decide I don't agree with his approach, I'm really excited to be branching out and taking steps towards making myself a more well rounded horse woman. Again, Parelli Natural Horsemanship will always be in my life, but I need to remember I'm a student of the horse first and foremost. A closed mind won't get me anywhere.

Another reason I'm branching out is because of the levels program. Up until now I really had my sights set on becoming an instructor. I created this "you must pass level 2 officially, then level 3, and by the way all these other students are performing well so your performance better be freaking perfect". It's made my life all about the 7 games, accomplishments, and work instead of play. As a fellow LBE Emily states in her blog "I like to go out to the arena with a plan and be a good leader. What I am now realizing are that those goals are turning me into a direct like thinker. Whatever I plan for the day, that’s exactly what I do. Rather than let my horse determine the principles and the time, I push to accomplish what I have in mind." I feel like I get too focused on passing levels and accomplishing goals instead of putting my horse first and having fun! I need to have horse ambitions and play time that isn't related to Parelli, that will snap my mind out of its direct-line-edness and back into having fun, being creative, and coming up with my own ways of problem solving. Never ending self improvement, and never ending fun :)


No comments:

Post a Comment