Monday, July 15, 2013

Expanding My Horizons

The great horseman today have all learned from multiple masters. Friday I expanded my learning bubble and attended my first Buck Brannaman clinic. Buck was highly inspired by Tom and Bill Dorrance, and rode with Ray Hunt for over 30 years. He learned from the best of the best, and has a Vaquero horsemanship twist to his style. 




The class was Horsemanship 1, so it was somewhat like the mounted portion of the old Parelli L1 clinic. The goal wasn't new, but the approach was definitely a different style. He really strove for responsiveness right from the get-go, and it had a big impact on the group. They transformed very quickly, and if you weren't properly executing what Buck asked, he would call you out on it and have you do it over and over until you communicated correctly and accurately. He kicked your butt, but everyone progressed quickly, and he had assistants that were able to run out and help riders who were having a more difficult time than others. He was extremely blunt about how and why he did things, respect for your horse, as well as being respectful to other horses and rider's bubble. When someone had a question he was blunt yet polite, and I really enjoyed listening to his answers. I personally appreciate someone with a no-nonsense attitude, because I am corrected quicker and feel I get more out of the experience. Oh, and by the way, he was freaking hilarious.



Students watching as Buck demonstrates


I brought my notebook with me to take notes when the wind wasn't trying to blow it away, and ended up making an entire column of silly/witty Buck remarks. A few examples were "Next time do that before you're ass deep in alligators!", "Kick a fart out of him!", and "I want you busier than a cat burying crap!". He kept the whole group of riders on task, productive, and lighthearted. 

I was surprised to find out he has an extensive hunter/jumper background, and had an impressive list of gold medal jumpers that use his methods. This really caught my attention. He is very anti-contact, and I'm interested to find out how he would get his horse to carry their frame without it. The more I can be out of my horse's mouth, the better. 




Below are some of my favorite Buck quotes from the day. Again, this was from his beginner horsemanship class, so they are things that I've heard before but from a different approach. Coming at an old technique with a new perspective in mind helps see things in a different light and sometimes helps grasp a concept. Here are some of my favorites :

* Mean what you say, say what you mean

* If a horse is dull to your legs, he will never be light for your hands

* The only time you can direct a foot is as it leaves the ground

* You want your horse's feet to be your feet. It's a dance. He's not your slave.

* Do less than what you think it's going to take and then in a moment or two, do what it takes to get a change. Sooner or later you'll do less than what you think it would take and he'll surprise you. You always give them that good deal first


A student practicing her one-reined stop


Buck will be back in WA in November, and I'm hoping to stay for several days this time instead of just half of the first. There are two other women that are L3+ Parelli people that go to Buck's clinics religiously, and I'm hoping to be able to meet up with them and pick their brains while he is teaching. I'm also going to save up and get his 7 Clinics DVD set, as well as a few of Tom Dorrance and Ray Hunt's DVDs. The more I can learn the better. 

I've heard Buck say to learn a technique from your mentor, but then find a way to make it your own. Tweak a method if you find it works better for you. I really liked hearing this, because one of my goals now that I'm branching out is to start finding my own way of doing things. Lorenzo The Flying Frenchman (the guy who rides roman style while communicating with an entire herd of white horses at liberty), Alycia Burton ("founder of Free Riding NZ"), Sylvia Zerbini (former Cavalia headliner), and many others taught themselves by just trial and error when playing with their horses. Each style is different yet effective in forming an amazing bond with their horses, and with little to no tack. I want to give myself the opportunity to find a unique way of conversing with my horses and not stay in the mental confines of one particular style.


Buck and his horse Reuben


I'm excited to continue learning and soaking up all this new information :) I can't wait for my bay-bies (;p) to come live with me again once we are able to get a place with property and really get this show on the road. Until then, I'll do as much as a I can when I am able to visit them at my parent's house (sadly 3 hours away) and make the most of our time. So much new stuff, and so much to play with!! :D





No comments:

Post a Comment