Monday, February 24, 2014

2014 Goals



So it appears I never made a horsemanship goal list for this year! Last summer my eyes were opened up while I had my internship at the Northwest Natural Horsemanship Center, and how I have been limiting myself to only following one method of horsemanship. Since then my horizons have expanded, and I have found so many amazing natural horseman that have so much quality information to share. It's really changed my approach to playing with my horses, and has been a refreshing change of pace from the seven games. While I still practice PNH, I've also given myself permission (why was I limiting myself before?) to pursue my eventing goals, and honestly just play around in the pasture however I feel like it. So I'm pretty excited about my goal list this year :)

1) Audit another Buck Brannaman clinic when he comes in July

2) Audit at least one jumping/eventing clinic at the Washington State Horse Park

3) Volunteer at least once at the WSHP for a clean-up or working day

4) Begin my monthly challenges (more on this soon!)

5) Canter Gwen and ride her bridleless

6) Load Cheyenne into the trailer at liberty from 20+ feet away

It's a short list, but I feel like it's going to make it more likely for me to cross everything off this year. My goals with Gwen are big as well, because with her everything takes so long to accomplish. She is by no means a stupid horse, she just challenges me every step of the way, especially when it comes to riding. We have to do 90% ground work, 10% riding right now in order to keep progressing while maintaining her willing attitude. It will get better with time, it's just something I definitely can't be in a hurry for. Take the time it takes so it takes less time. 

If anyone else is planning on attending the same clinics, please let me know! I always love meeting new horsemanship friends :) What are everyone else's goals for this year? Have you already accomplished some?

No comments:

Post a Comment