Monday, April 14, 2014

Flowers and Sunshine and Ponies, Oh My!

Spring is here! And I was finally home for a weekend and able to clock some time with my girls! Oh, and try out my new rope, aka the best horsemanship tool ever invented for ground work ;) It's the 32' Round Pen Lariat from Kalley Krickeberg's Horse Education Company. It can be used as a line for groundwork, or take the snap off and use it as a lariat. What really drew me to it was the simple fact that goatheads (those pokey demon weeds) can't get stuck in it unlike marine rope, and it coils up nicely which will be awesome when I'm ponying Gwen on trails, because the coil can just sit over my saddle horn and keep itself nice and tidy without me having to worry about it. It will also work great as a tie line when I take the horses camping :) 



I tried it out the first day I got it, and obviously had to teach myself how to rope ;) My pup was victim numero uno, and I had a total blast trying it out. The horses weren't as amused with it as I was at first, but they began to not care after a few swings and did really well. I took them both out to a small hill in our back pasture to get some energy out, and this rope was fantastic.. the coil takes the place of my carrot stick as a driving tool, and in my opinion is much more natural to use than wielding a stick around. The coils were easy to keep together, but if they did come undone, I only had 32' instead of 45' of rope to deal with, which is why I chose this one over Parelli's 45' line. I just simply don't need that much line, and I'm pretty sure I'd end up in trouble with that much slack around me! 


 
Gweny was not amused..


I hopped on Cheyenne, and she did great. We started off with fifteen strides of walk/fifteen strides of trot to help get her up and down transitions smoother, and to get her focusing on me. I threw in a little figure eight pattern here and there, and she settled down pretty quickly. Down transitions were terrible at first, and I ended up using way more rein than I'd like, but by the time we were done we had it primarily off of my seat aids. I was going to grab Gweny and practice ponying her, however my neighbor's bull got into our pasture and so I decided it was safer to just put Chey to bed and call it a day. But hey, short and sweet sessions have always been great for her, so I'm not complaining :) It was a successful day, and it felt so good to get back on a horse. 


Chey and our new 32' line



Gwen was so great online.. Typically it's a huge ordeal to get her to canter, and she just short of offered it to me! Granted she's been getting alfalfa/grass mix and has been feeling cooped up lately, but it all played in my favor, and we had a blast. Under saddle I have to take things very slowly with her, and we are still working at getting a willing trot and smoother up transitions. However when I saw her canter, my jaw dropped. Most of the time when she canters she can really get going, but this time she gave me a beautiful, collected lope, and it looked like one of those rocking horse canters you typically only dream of. My dressage instructor growing up had a thoroughbred mare who had such a canter, and one stride covered what felt like a quarter of the arena. I felt like I was watching that mare instead of Gwen, and it makes me that much more excited to get back on her! We have been focusing more on ground work, but holy cow I can't wait to ride that canter! I'm pretty sure I'm going to go find a long trail and just canter her everywhere.. that mare is going to have some great muscle by the end of this summer ;)


Gweny feeling good and being a Little Miss Sassy Pants


I'm hoping next weekend is in the upper 70's so I can bathe them and get their tails looking nice again. I love Spring time so much! Horses are feeling good, I'm feeling refreshed, and we have an entire year of trails, clinics, and good times ahead. What more could a girl as for?! I hope everyone else is having a great Spring with their ponies!

No comments:

Post a Comment