Friday, June 1, 2012

Pony Play Time :)

Played with both horses tonight. Gweny was a rockstar on our FS ride! I've learned if I let her go where she wants half the time, the other half she is more willing to take my suggestions :) She picked up a trot off of a voice cue for the first time instead of me having to use my carrot stick! I was so excited! She even offered a trot once, and she gave me a few nicely paced walks, and a lot more good expressions than normal too :) She got her first bath today and did pretty well :) Got some conditioner in that crazy thick tail of hers, braided it, and hopefully in two days or so it'll comb out much nicer for me. It took 1/3 of a 32oz bottle of conditioner to soak the whole thing... O.O

Cheyenne was extremely spooky tonight. At everything. We warmed up a bit OL and she did really well, but when I went to get on, she acted like she didn't understand anything, wasn't paying attention, and was panicking over everything around us. I hopped off and we played a little OL, and we started with transitions on the circle. Walk to trot was good as usual, and trot to canter took a little bit but eventually she got it. Canter to trot was light, however trot to walk took a loooot for her to do. So we worked on that until I had a relaxed pace in all three gaits (canter wasn't really too relaxed, but it was more relaxed when where we started, and it being so hot today I didn't want to over do her).

It was her turn to get a shower, which she usually is great about. Not today! lol. I really wasn't emotionally fit to play with her extreme RB behaviors today. But I tried. It's just frustrating for me to understand why all of a sudden, seemingly out of nowhere, today things she has done a million times are all spooky and life threatening. But I am trying really hard to see it from her perspective. She was fine until the hose got to her tail. Interesting. She danced around, and a few times circled somewhat violently to get away from it. I kept the hose on her until she stopped, then rewarded by taking the hose away. We did this for quite some time until she allowed me to hose it from the side. I took it, and soaked her tail and scratched her in her itchy spots afterwards as a reward. I got her tail conditioned and braided and put her in the pasture. I had her canter a few laps each way, thinking maybe she was just too energetic to think today. She got some energy out, and is now enjoying the fresh grass. The horses will have a day off tomorrow, and hopefully Sunday night she will be feeling a little more relaxed and LB :)

 

No comments:

Post a Comment