Sunday, February 12, 2012

Had a great ride on Chey tonight! She started out RB and very spooky.. she had a lot of thresholds even in her pasture because the neighbors were moving things around their property all day. The second she got her halter on she calmed down, and we did some F8's, weave and sideways over a log and the change was instant! Head down, LB, and focused. She has never made the switch so easily and calmly! We also did Approach & Retreat with the spooky saddle pad in the corner. The rest of the night she was very laid back, had a slow, lumbering walk and offered a nice relaxed trot :) Transition into canter is pretty ugly lol, we definitely need some work on that. But I was so impressed on how she started out so spooky, and how quickly she became and STAYED LB, acting like she hadn't a care in the world :) Especially since they've been getting some alfalfa thrown in their meals lately I figured she would be extra spooky, but the last few months we've been focusing on groundwork and it has really payed off! On a side note, tonight when I was cleaning out her feet before the ride, she was an angel about all of them except the one I was using to teach her to lay down on command :/ I feel so bad. She would resist giving me the foot, and when I did get it she would just rip it out of my hand. I feel horrible for pushing her too far the other night. She eventually let me clean it out, and I gave her lots of scratches on her leg and belly to try to reassure her that me picking up that foot is a positive thing again. I think I'm gonna back off the laying down for a while and come back to it when she is confident with me playing with that foot again. This is definitely a lesson I'm never going to forget. It hurts that I pushed a horse too far that always gives me so much effort, and always tries so hard to do whatever I'm asking. I feel like I took it for granted, and that's not acting like a partner on my end. I'm so lucky she is such a forgiving girl :) I don't know what I would do without that little lady!







No comments:

Post a Comment